Why making a graphic engine in Perl? Well, just because I really like Perl and I couldn't find any decent graphic engine written in Perl. And anyway, I'm sure your 2D game doesn't need to run at 300 FPS. However, I hope you'll find this engine fast enough and easy to use for your own projects. Here's a short list of the main features of Josago Engine:
- Josago Engine is written in Perl. That means you can write your programs/games directly in Perl.
- Everybody knows Perl is slower than C++. For that reason, Josago Engine comes with a compiler which translates your Perl program into Perl bytecode and merges it with the engine's own code, thus gaining on performance.
- Josago Engine is focused on its ease of use and simplicity. You can control all the usual 2D routines and handle events though very high-level calls or, if you're feeling adventurous, modifying the internal variables of the engine by hand.
- Josago Engine is able to handle both SFonts and TrueType fonts at the same time using the same engine calls.
- All the people who speak Spanish are in their lucky day today: Josago Engine's SFont Spanish Hack lets developers write Spanish characters without modifying their program code. This feature is very likely to add support for more languages in a near future as well!
- Josago Engine's status feature lets you create animations or menus easily, with just a few lines of code.